Monday, October 29, 2012

The enigmatic street magician is back for another series


The enigmatic street magician is back for another series. Here, he tells TVChoicemore about the show and how he's coping with fame and success… 
What’s new for this second series?
The element of surprise is all gone now because people know who I am, so it’s about how I get around that, and how do I still keep people surprised and entertained. How do I keep that hunger? In music, some people put out a first album which is amazing, and then a second one which is not so good. This is that tough second album for me, and it’s about showing people there’s more to me then meets the eye. The first series was just the tip of the iceberg. In this second series I think you’re really going to see me come into my own.

Has fame affected you?
You can find out in the show. It’s almost a behind the scenes look at what it’s like to go from zero to hero. You see how it can get to me and how I deal with it. You also see me coming to terms with my grandpa [who taught Dynamo his first tricks] passing. I did feel like the magic had died with him, and I didn’t want to perform for while.

Is it a comfort that your grandpa got to see you make it?
Yes. Without him, that first series would never have happened. Obviously, the second series is dedicated to him. I think, hopefully, he’s got Sky or Virgin in heaven and he can watch it.

How have you reflected on your success?
Dynamo, Dynamo
It’s been a crazy year to be honest, but I always had the belief that the show would do well. However, I didn’t think we could hit the kind of numbers we got first time around. I thought maybe it would get a gradual cult following, but it’s kind of skipped a few stages! There’s a lot of pressure on for series two.

One of the tricks in the show last year was great fun, because you made a coin ‘appear’ on a man’s shoulder — but watching it at home, we could all see you put it there when you first met him!
It’s funny the amount of tweets I got with people saying, ‘Oh I know how you do that coin trick’. I purposely left that in, because sometimes it just about sharing something with the viewers at home.

Did you get into this to be famous?
No, I never really had a desire to be famous. There are lots of sides to fame that I don’t really like. I think England’s one of those countries where we’ve kind of fallen into this thing where fame has become an occupation. But I remember back in the day that you were famous because of a talent, because you’d done something great. You ask kids at school what they want to do when they’re older and they all want to be famous — but not for something in particular. I think it’s slightly wrong.

I don’t think we nurture young talent in the right way here. If you think of America, they really push it — maybe sometimes they push it a little bit too hard. But think of someone like Justin Bieber. Regardless of whether he’s for little girls or whatever age group he’s aimed at, he’s one talented individual. He can play most instruments, he’s got a voice, he’s got a look and he knows how to play the game. I don’t care what people think about him, from being in the industry and having a taste of fame, I know it takes a strong individual to deal with all the trials and tribulations that come with it. His schedule must be ridiculous, and he manages to hold it together and make it look like he’s having a good time as well. I like to see real talent get recognised and I’ve never had a desire to be famous. I just want to make a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment